Wednesday, March 08, 2006

Families--Take Two

When I read Conor's post about families, I never thought I'd be making one of my own. Some of what happened was expected. As upset as Kimi was with me, I wasn't surprised by her cold shoulder. Hurt? Yes, but not taken off guard. Maybe I better hit the highlights in chronological order.

McCabe and I went up to San Francisco early to spend some time with my parents. I'd gotten over the shock of their elopement and we were having a pretty good time. We all went out to dinner, Mom and I went shopping, and Dad took Conor to the driving range. McCabe, BTW, does not golf, but that didn't stop Dad. I think my mate had a good time. I know my dad wasn't thrilled at first with the idea of Conor and I being a couple--he was hoping I'd fall in love with a human--but he was hardly in a position to object after marrying my mom in Vegas.

Conor's never had much in the way of family--or anyone who's really loved him. I wanted to share mine with him, wanted him to feel as if he belonged. I think the outing with my dad was a big step in the right direction.

My dad finished the redecorating I started on my suite this summer. It turned out nice and when Conor felt overwhelmed by the Noguchi clan, we could retreat there and cuddle. No one looking at McCabe or hearing him grumble would realize how much he likes to do that, but I know and that's what counts.

It was a good start. Then Friday night came. Family night. Kimi's coolness toward me was noticeable, but she's been mad at me before. Not a huge deal. Except I was a bit upset by it and wasn't watching myself closely enough. Grandma N heard me call my mom "Mom."

My mom is a Mahsei demon. We age differently than humans, and even though Mom looks about my age, she's much older. Grandma N immediately became suspicious and started probing. She's a force to be reckoned with and I love her dearly; the last thing I want to do was lie to my grandma.

Despite my two families meeting at my wedding, and my mom and half brother staying with my Dad for a while, no one on my human side had been told my mom was my mom. I never really thought about why, but I guess because Dad didn't want everyone to know I was half Mahsei. Or that he had the ability to call demons forth from Orcus.

So now Grandma N is worried that my mom might be a fang or something, and while she wasn't happy about my 45-year-old father marrying a seemingly much younger woman, she was even less pleased at the idea of Mom being a vampire.

Of course, I didn't realize most of this until it was just Grandma and Grandpa, Mom and Dad, and me and Conor. Then Grandma went for some answers. Do I need to tell you her reaction when she discovered that Mom was a demon? Suddenly a vampiress for a daughter-in-law looked good. It wasn't the most pleasant family gathering of all time, but I love my Grandma. She put her hand on my arm on her way out the door and said she loved me and that she always would, demon blood or no demon blood. My grandma Noguchi is a very special woman.

Saturday night was the big wedding celebration with not just family, but friends and business associates of my father's as well. Kimi was still snubbing me, but everything else went well. Conor dances! I never, ever would have guessed it. My mate holding me close as we danced to the band was by far the highlight of the trip. That and the wild sex we had when we got back to my--our--rooms that night. I still buzz when I think about it.

Then came Sunday.

It was a quiet, lazy day. My dad started a subscription to the Crimson Post after I married Conor so that he could keep up with the news. I did the crossword puzzle, Mom read the latest news out of Hollywood, Dad had the business section and Conor took sports. I felt content, happy, just plain good.

My parents dropped the bombshell when we went to dinner that night.

Even that was pleasant. Until dessert.

Surprise, Mika, you're going to be a big sister.

To say I was stunned is putting it mildly.

I'm being selfish--probably. I mean if Nic got used to having a baby sister when he was in his twenties, I can get used to my parents having another baby too.

But my parents didn't get married when I was conceived.

It's stupid. I know it's stupid. My dad was only twenty then, things are different now, but it feels as if I wasn't important enough for them to marry for my sake. It was difficult being shuttled between Orcus and the human world. If they'd married, lived together I wouldn't have needed to do that. And I would have had both my parents with me. I'm not going to get into the other things that are roiling through my mind.

Conor stepped in, handled the scene at the restaurant and got me out of there. And when we got back to our rooms, he held me and listened to me and he never, not even once said I was being ridiculous. I know I am. I know. But I can't seem to help it. I don't know how my mate can be so endlessly patient with me sometimes, but he is.

I have at least two dozen messages from my dad and I just can't return them. I want to be happy for him and Mom when I talk to him, and I'm not. Not yet.

I wish I could talk to Nic, ask him if this is how he felt when he found out I was coming along. But I can't. Conor would insist on going into Orcus with me and he'd likely get killed. I can't sneak in either. After the last time I did that, McCabe asked me to promise him that I wouldn't do that again. Demon's never break their word. And of course, I don't have the ability to call Nic out of the Other World and I wouldn't trust some human to do it. I won't endanger my brother or my mate.

McCabe insists that once I have a little time to absorb it all, assimilate it, that I won't feel this way, but then Conor believes I'm a better person than I really am. It's one of the reasons why I love him so much.

17 Comments:

At 3/09/2006 02:35:00 PM, Blogger Crimson Fan said...

I think we tend to be a more accepting society these days.(For what its worth more excepting than twenty-some years ago.
You're jelousy is to be expected but take a moment to consider perhaps it would have been dangerous to you as a child for the truth to be out. I am sure that your family would have been chastised in both the human world and the demon world had your dad and mom stayed together.
Other than all the mess of demons and not... sibling rivelary is going to creep up regaurdless of your age. I believe your feelings are within the normal limits and Nic would surely tell you the same thing.
Give it time Mika, you'll be bouncing your little sibling on your knee before you know it.
CF

 
At 3/09/2006 05:49:00 PM, Blogger Crimson Fan said...

PS ignore any and all spelling ...rough night last night and I am functioning on 3 hours of sleep.
CF

 
At 3/09/2006 06:51:00 PM, Blogger Mika McCabe said...

Your logic makes sense, but this is all emotional. I feel like I don't matter as much as this new baby. Besides, my mother could have concealed that she was a demon. The big thing that gives us away is our light-colored eyes and those are easy to hide.

And I don't know why I'm disagreeing with you. I want to get over this and be honestly happy for my parents. I'm just not there yet.

The jealousy...Yeah, I feel that already. I've always been my dad's only child. Sigh.

I hope you lost sleep because you were having fun. One of us should be.

 
At 3/10/2006 02:18:00 AM, Blogger Crimson Fan said...

Aww Mika I understand the emotions... you have to trust this will get easier.
They did have contacts 20 years ago but maybe mom was too....erm...prideful to hide her eyecolor(or her demon heritage).

;-) Emotions always override logic(is that why men get so frustrated with us?) You'll eventually feel better.

Fun?!! As if, if you call having your rump grabbed, smacked or pinched ALL night long fun...that and I have a wolf from Smith's pack trailing me. The wolf is a little reassuring. I think J is looking out for my safety, but it is all so annoying. Also, I have been staying up in the mornings to research some things...did you read what my mom sent? I think I am getting closer to a few of my parents secrets.

Take care M.
CF

 
At 3/10/2006 06:42:00 PM, Blogger Mika McCabe said...

My dad showed up this evening. I don't know if Mom's in town too--he didn't say and I didn't ask--but he wants us to sit down and talk. I should have realized that not returning his dozens of phone calls would have repercussions. His timing isn't good, though, not with Marc missing again.

As for getting over it, I have to believe you're right, CF, but I'm not there yet. Conor's running interference for me, but sooner or later I'll have to go out there and sit down with my dad. "Hello, how are you, I'll be right back" isn't going to work for long.

Well, it all depends who's doing the ass grabbing. ;-) And yes, I did read that you have some interesting books to study. I hope the parental secrets you discover don't leave you reeling. I've had a little experience with that recently.

 
At 3/10/2006 07:11:00 PM, Blogger Crimson Fan said...

Hmm your dad is in town and I think you'll feel better if you do have a long talk with your father. (Give yourself time to think out what you want to say opposed to what emotions might want you to spit out) In fact, I plan on laying a lot out to my own pops when he comes to town.

Marc has the best timing and he's acting like such a little boy. What does that make him...14??

Ha! I wish the ass grabbing had been favorable. I swear this job is a blast some nights but the other night had to be the rowdiest bunch I had to face in a long time...some of those boys made Smith look tame and that is saying a lot.

The rents...ugh they never fail to amaze me....

CF

PS ~ I hope someone in this city has my back a recent converted wolf is a little pissed at me.

 
At 3/11/2006 06:01:00 AM, Blogger Mika McCabe said...

One of the traits of the Mahsei is our impulsiveness. Fortunately, McCabe was with me and whenever I started to respond without thinking, he'd give me a squeeze. It helped. So did the conversation with my dad, I think. Although, I have to admit I'm still not reconciled to the situation. Conor insists I will be, that I just need more time.

Since your dog is the cause of all the trouble, he should be setting things right. Or barring that, watching your back. It's the least he can do.

 
At 3/11/2006 03:42:00 PM, Blogger Crimson Fan said...

Well there is a lot I could say to that comment about wolf boy but...

I will only say convert shouldn't be after me. He didn't answer her yes or no...also ...it might not be me that is the intended gf.

But, way I see it no lies have ever been told in her situation.(then I am a little protective of the whole ordeal.)

I am very relieved the talk with your dad went well. Great job Conor you are the rock to Mika's roll ;-) You seem to be on the right track to feeling better about the parents. It will just take time. You are a strong woman..you'll get through this :-)!

CF

 
At 3/11/2006 08:14:00 PM, Blogger Mika McCabe said...

Thanks, CF. I'll trust that you're right and I get through this sooner rather than later.

And yeah, Conor and I balance each other nicely. I need his steadiness and he needs my sense of fun. :-)

 
At 3/13/2006 01:33:00 PM, Blogger Crimson Fan said...

I just tell it how I see it M. However, your welcome :-).

I agree that Conor definitely needs your sense of fun. Every relationship should balance somehow. I so wish Marc would realize that...he's toppled that relationship over the edge.

Speaking of balancing if you see that unbalanced wolf of mine tell him Red's looking for him. We kept missing eachother this weekend although I have plenty of text-messaging that proves he wasn't ignoring me.

Stupid technology it takes away from personal interaction. LOL.
CF

 
At 3/13/2006 05:45:00 PM, Blogger Mika McCabe said...

CF,

You'll forgive me, I hope, if I tell you I'm not particularly fond of your wolf friend. He did threaten to send a demon slayer after me. And if you think I'm pissed off about that, you should mention his name to Conor. You know how protective McCabe is about me.

If you're looking for the dog, does this mean you're no longer interested in meeting Zain? Demons are hot! ;-)

~M

 
At 3/13/2006 06:59:00 PM, Blogger Crimson Fan said...

Siiiggghhh... I can't change him but you do know his little antics do not change how I feel about my friends. I will always stick up for my friends even if it makes him mad. So thats/that.

I am still mulling Zaine and the night of the full moon over. I do think we should still consider meeting at my work first. I would love for you and Conor to bring him by when you get the chance. If anything just to have another friend and demon on my side when this town falls apart ;).

Ignore wolf boy he thinks more with his beast persona than he should but see first comment above.
CF

 
At 3/14/2006 02:23:00 AM, Blogger Mika McCabe said...

I'll convince Conor to take a break in our searching. We can swing by, meet Zain there and introduce the two of you. We won't be able to stay too long since Marc is a loose cannon, but if you're working, you won't be able to spend much time with us anyway. It should work out. Tonight, then--around elevenish?

~M

 
At 3/14/2006 06:19:00 PM, Blogger Crimson Fan said...

Don't put Marc in danger for Zaine and I to meet. Marc's planning on a blood bond at the full moon (23:35) tonight. Elevenish would be cutting it too close. Every minute counts for keeping him from bonding with a Bak-Faru.

I'm not working tonight...the wolves are restless and I am not putting myself through that ;). I will be out at a few clubs so don't hesitate to introduce me if you guys pop in and see me on the dance floor.
CF

 
At 3/14/2006 06:41:00 PM, Blogger Mika McCabe said...

Leave it to Marc to pick the worst possible time to be a complete moron! Bonding with a Dark One. What is he thinking?

My dad wants to meet with me tonight too before his flight to San Francisco. I need to clone myself--several times.

CF, we'll introduce you to Zain in a few days, okay? Now I just have to figure out where a dark demon would perform a bonding ritual with an apparently brain-dead human.

 
At 3/14/2006 06:52:00 PM, Blogger Crimson Fan said...

With Mr Brain Dead...good luck. He's not thinking one bit..when does that B-Ops training kick in??

Tell Zaine to look for the gal on the Harley Davidson tonight(the one with the purple dragon painted onto it) I am going to be driving that baby all over town ;).

Cloning? Is the ability to shape shift ...say...one's eyecolor run along cloning or shape shifting abilities??
CF

 
At 3/15/2006 02:39:00 AM, Blogger Mika McCabe said...

B-Ops training will probably click in about the time he regains control of his emotions. TBH, I expected Marc to get a handle on them way before this.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home