Wednesday, February 08, 2006

Family Obligations

I love my family dearly, but their timing is terrible. Since the last thing I wanted was my dad descending on us, I called him first. Then I called Uncle Paul and Kimi. I even managed to talk to Nic, although his aversion to technology is strong. But then comm units and other things implode in Orcus.

What's the big crisis? Kimi came home from college unexpectedly and saw Nic.

Not a big deal, right? Except it is. Kimi and Nic have the vishtau and the more time they spend together, the more driving the urge to mate will become for them. If things were different, this wouldn't be a problem. While I'm related to both of them, they're not related to each other--Nic is my half brother--but a relationship between them still isn't a good idea. Not now, maybe not ever.

Nic is a demon--half Mahsei. His other half is Grolird and the only demons darker than his branch are the Dark Ones. Nic was always my protector as a child, but I don't underestimate him.

Then there's the cultural differences between someone like Nic, who's spent his entire life in Orcus, versus Kimi who doesn't believe that demons really exist. I used to find this amusing--until the dark demons escaped Orcus. Now her ignorance is dangerous. She'd never understand that we lie just because we want to, and she certainly doesn't understand demon males. They're chauvinistic. The more power they have, the more arrogant they tend to be. And most importantly, demon males are accustomed to demon females. How's Kimi going to react when Nic's eyes glow? When he bites her?

My other concern is the age gap. Kimi is 19--a young 19. Nic is in his 40s. Young for a demon, but he's lived a lot of life, has a lot of experience, that will take my cousin years to acquire.

Nic handled Kimi's surprise arrival well--even my dad said so. He kept his distance from her until he could unobtrusively leave. I know that couldn't have been easy for him. See why I love my big brother so much?

Kimi is hurt because she thinks Nic's a hottie--she's never been as interested in a man as she is in Nic--and my brother obviously doesn't like her. Uncle Paul and Aunt Midori are worried about Kimi because she's moping. Dad wants to return Nic to Orcus to avoid the vishtau taking hold, but he's worried about how I'll react if he sends my brother back without warning.

Nic, for his part is willing to return to the Other World, but he's worried about our mom. While she and Dad have been having trysts for years, this is the first time he and Mom have spent an extended period of time together. This is the problem with human/demon matings. While humans will feel something of the vishtau, they don't feel it with nearly the same strength as demons. He's worried that Mom has fallen for my dad. I don't think that's something to worry about--there's a reason why Dad hasn't married anyone else. There has to be, right?

Solution is that Nic is going back to Orcus. In exchange for his agreement, I'm supposed to keep an eye on my parents to make sure Dad doesn't break Mom's heart. Kimi (and she'll always be Kimi to me) is pissed off at me because she thinks I sided against her when I argued my dad's position. My aunt and uncle are relieved because now that Kimi is furious at me, she's not depressed any longer. Problem solved.

It was surreal, though, in a way. Even as I'm talking with them, I'm thinking, I can't believe they're all turning to ME! I mean, come on. I'm the one who started redecorating my suite at Dad's house last summer, and then just left it. Then there's what happened the other night. Others seeking my advice, well, it's bizarre.

While all this family drama was going on, Conor went out looking for Marc. He's alone, searching for someone who's very probably involved with a dark demon and he hasn't checked in for a couple of hours. My calls to his comm have gone directly to voice mail. Knowing my mate, he turned the thing off right after he contacted me, but still... He better check in again. Soon.

17 Comments:

At 2/08/2006 12:29:00 PM, Blogger Crimson Fan said...

Mica, its almost hard to remember being that young. We really get a change of perspective on life after oh...23. Good luck.

 
At 2/08/2006 05:20:00 PM, Blogger Mika McCabe said...

You're right, of course, but even so, I'm certain I was never that young. Kimi will get over being mad at me; she's not one to hold a grudge.

McCabe's cooking breakfast, so I'm going to head into the kitchen and tease him a bit. It's good for him.

 
At 2/09/2006 12:53:00 PM, Blogger Crimson Fan said...

Ugghh..breakfast...don't mention food...one too many tequila shots for me last night. :D I really acted THAT young last night & found myself offering body shots to a room full of vampires.(yes I realize today how smart that really was..thank goodness for a good friend who got me home...lol.)
I am sure you are right and Kimi will get over it sometime..I bet it sucks to be the baby sis.(I am the oldest so I wouldn't know but at least you always have someone looking out for you when you loose self-control~ think about it Kimi Mika has your best interests at heart) Thanks for chatting with me Mika helps me feel welcome here ;).

 
At 2/09/2006 06:47:00 PM, Blogger Mika McCabe said...

You're lucky your friend was there. We women do need to stick together, especially when we're not thinking clearly.

Kimi has it really bad. The poor thing is the youngest of all the cousins--and there are a lot of Noguchis. :-) Most of whom are male and protective. I escaped a lot of that, but being the baby of the entire clan, Kimi hasn't. I give her a week, maybe a week and a half, to sulk, and then she'll be sending a message or calling.

 
At 2/10/2006 12:27:00 PM, Blogger Crimson Fan said...

Hey Mika Trust me I'm sticking with you on torturing Mccabe until he finds Hayes. You'll have to warn him on these blogs he'll have two women nagging him nonstop. ;) ha ha buddy sorry its a woman thing.

Kimi I do feel bad for you. All those men will try to stifle your fun. My dad was very overprotective(still is...) so I feel your pain sweetheart. However, I am old enough to know now what I thought I knew at your age did me very little in real life. If you can get past the nagging and listen to the life lessons it might save you a lot of heartache.

 
At 2/10/2006 05:39:00 PM, Blogger Mika McCabe said...

Ah, but CF, there are far more enjoyable ways to torture a mate than nagging. ;-) I don't have to do anything, though, not any longer. Conor might keep his emotions concealed from most, but I know him. He's worried. And the longer we go without locating Marc, the more tense he becomes. Even if B-Ops hadn't assigned this job to him, Conor would be searching--the man's on a mission now.

 
At 2/10/2006 05:53:00 PM, Blogger Crimson Fan said...

All kidding aside I am worried about Marc myself. I am trying to arrange a meeting with Aslet to see what he knows about this woman.
Yes, I know he's not a nice demon but I have had my hands full with worse recently so what the hell. A vulnerable guy is sucked into something he doesn't understand and its time to do my part. Why not go directly to the source of the sort of demon she appears to be.

 
At 2/10/2006 06:18:00 PM, Blogger McCabe said...

Don't underestimate demons. They play by different rules than humans. Hell, they play by different rules than fangs, dogs, or any other creature. Even Mika, who spent as much time in the Overworld as she did in the Underworld growing up, sometimes just plain doesn't understand why I have an issue with something she says or does.

Mika is on the light end of the spectrum. Aslet isn't. Stay away from him.

 
At 2/10/2006 06:22:00 PM, Blogger Mika McCabe said...

McCabe, why get so worked up over a few lies? It's fun! You should try it more often. Besides, I promised to always be truthful with you--what difference do strangers make?

And you're a tiny bit unreasonable about Aslet, don't you think?

 
At 2/10/2006 06:24:00 PM, Blogger McCabe said...

Re: Aslet

No, I am not.

 
At 2/10/2006 06:26:00 PM, Blogger Mika McCabe said...

You know what that grumbly tone of yours does to me.

 
At 2/10/2006 06:29:00 PM, Blogger Mika McCabe said...

CF, Aslet is not one of the dark demons, but he is very powerful. I agree with Conor. You need to stay away from him.

 
At 2/11/2006 02:38:00 AM, Blogger Crimson Fan said...

I play by different rules than most humans so don't worry about me. I'm not some wimpy little waif who will get put on the 100 dead or missing list.
Besides, your concerns went unfounded last night. Aslet met with me at the bar and we discussed getting together again. He had to run only could say hello and meet me again. No big scary mind games or I want to take you to the alley and mate vibes...
I have to admit, he's hot, scourching. Funny he still didn't distract my mind from other issues.
Did you ever think that Marc's not being found because the demons know you're looking for them? I might be able to slip under the radar.
Goodnight I'm going to bed.

 
At 2/11/2006 06:46:00 PM, Blogger McCabe said...

Maybe Mika won't worry, but I will. I try to protect humans from demons, and here you are seeking one out. Just because you're still breathing after meeting with Aslet, don't underestimate how dangerous he is.

 
At 2/12/2006 05:02:00 AM, Blogger Crimson Fan said...

Okay its not that I expect you not to worry so I am flattered you'de both be interrested in my well being. Here's the deal..I'm bull headed but I can watch my back also I believe I have a very powerful wolf friend who will watch my back. I won't, but if I come up missing, don't put yourselves in danger looking for me....I asked for it by meeting with him. Rest assured I don't underestimate any of the city's finest creaturs

 
At 2/12/2006 06:33:00 AM, Blogger Mika McCabe said...

Since Conor is growling and cursing, I'll post for him--censoring out the colorful phrases.

Demons--even the weakest demon--can kick the most powerful werewolf's ass. (I know because I was a weak demon before I shared Conor's powers. If I'd wanted to, I also could have taken down the strongest of vampires without much difficulty.) Aslet is not a weak demon.

 
At 2/12/2006 10:12:00 AM, Blogger Crimson Fan said...

Oh Conor, stop growling and cursing. Yes I know...I know Aslet is powerful. I keep telling you I am not average human and I can really handle myself. Although, I don't plan on giving Aslet any good reason to kick my ass. I can't explain what force is driving me but something in me says do this.
Relaxe,I will be okay.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home